Please note: All non-member Zoo tickets must be pre-purchased online or at the onsite kiosks.
Desert Tortoise Desert Tortoise

Native Wildlife Resources

Finding a wild animal that you suspect is injured, sick, or orphaned can be stressful. It is good to familiarize yourself with resources, should you need them.

Please note: It is illegal to possess wildlife for more than 48 hours without wildlife permits. Contact a permitted wildlife rehabilitator to report finding an injured, orphaned, or sick animal.


If you are within the Coachella Valley and find a bird in need of rehabilitation, you can contact VCA Valley Animal Medical Center (760) 342-4711, California Department of Fish and Wildlife (916) 358-2790, and Riverside County Department of Animal Services (760) 343-3644:

For species-specific information, please see the below for advice on coexistence and what to do if you find an animal that you suspect needs help.

Search the Living Desert WebsiteMagnifying glass icon